Academic Advising

Physics Academic Advising

The Department of Physics offers academic advising for all physics majors and those interested in obtaining a physics minor. Physics students are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor at least once a semester to maintain their degree progress. 

Meet your advisor

Morgan Texeira, Undergraduate Program Manager

Phone: 480.965.3561


Advisor responsibilities:

  • Assist in planning academic schedules
  • Review major requirements
  • Help track progress toward graduation
  • Clarify university and department policies and procedures


If you are in need of a course override, please complete this form



Schedule an Advising Appointment

Please call 480-965-3561 or visit the Physics Main office in Physical Science F-Wing Room 470 to schedule an appointment.

Students will need to schedule an appointment for the following reasons:

  • Students wanting to add a concurrent degree
  • Advising holds/eAdvisor holds
  • New students - freshman and transfer
  • Long-term career or academic planning
  • Students wanting to change majors (into physics)
  • Off-track students

Walk-in Advising 

Walk-in advising is limited to 15 minutes and is on a first come first served basis. New students/transfer students must make an appointment if it is their first advising session. Walk-in advising may change or be canceled at any time at the discretion of the department.  

Students should utilize walk-in advising for the following reasons:
•    Junior advising hold
•    Second semester freshman advising hold
•    Adding minor
•    Quick course concerns
•    Needs signature for form

Walk-in Advising days/times:

Thursday, February 22, 2018 1:30pm-4:00pm
Wednesday, February 28, 2018 9:00am-11:30am
Monday, March 5, 2018 1:30pm-4:00pm
Tuesday, March 18, 2018 9:00am-11:30am

Incoming Freshmen and Transfer Students

Incoming Freshmen and Transfer Students

Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)

All students must submit a copy of their MMR to Health Services before they attend orientation or register for classes. Students who do not submit their vaccine records will have their registration blocked. Students can submit a copy of this vaccine requirement online or in-person

If you cannot obtain a copy of your previous vaccine, you may receive a vaccine from any ASU campus. To schedule an appointment, please call your nearest location.

ALEKS Mathematics Placement Test

Unless you have submitted AP, dual enrollment or transfer credits all newly admitted students must complete the ALEKS math placement test in order to be placed into your term 1 math course, MAT 270 Calculus 1. The placement test should be taken prior to attending orientation and enrolling in classes. For more information regarding the Math Placement test, please click here.

A Math Placement Test score of 76-100 is required to be eligible to take MAT 270: Calculus with Analytic Geometry I or MAT 265: Calculus for Engineers I.  Students who do not pass the placement test with an appropriate score will enroll in a corresponding MAT course. Please see the table below for more information.

Click here to take the placement test


Incoming Freshmen 

SAT/ACT scores

Make sure ASU has your SAT/ACT scores on file. You can send a copy of your scores by logging into your collegeboard account at These scores will be used to place you into the appropriate English composition course. If you did not take the ACT or SAT, AP, or dual enrollment you must take the Accuplacer test to be placed into a first year composition course.

AP or IB scores

If you have completed Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) tests, please request that the official scores be sent to ASU. You may submit your request on your account page. PLease also bring an unofficial copy of your scores with you to orientation or your first advising appointment.

Dual enrollment 

If you have completed dual enrollment coursework or are transferring coursework from another college, please be sure to request that official transcripts be sent to ASU. Please contact the registrar's office at the college where you earned the credit and request that your official, final transcript be sent to the ASU Admissions Office. Your high school will not send these to ASU.

Transcripts should be mailed to:

Undergraduate Admissions
Arizona State University
PO Box 870112
Tempe, AZ 85287-0112


Transfer students 

To transfer credits to ASU, official transcripts must be mailed or sent electronically to ASU Admission Services. This must be completed before registration can take place. 

Undergraduate transcripts should be sent to :

Admission Services
Arizona State University
PO Box 870112
Tempe, AZ 85287-0112

Depending on the college you transfer from, you may be required to submit additional documentation. If one or more of your transfer courses are not given an ASU course equivalency you will need to submit a course syllabus to have the course reviewed further. You may submit a course for review, here. To view the status of your transfer credits, please visit the ASU Transfer  website.





Physics majors are required to maintain a cumulative GPA of at least a 2.0. Students who fail to maintain a satisfactory GPA will be placed on probation. Once you are on probation, you will need to complete the next semester with a GPA of 2.0 or above to remain on continued probation. Students may remain on continued probation as long as they achieve a semester GPA of 2.0 or above.

Requirements of Probation:

  1. Schedule an appointment with your advisor by calling 480.965.3561
  2. Complete Probation Success Plan
  3. Complete UNI 220 
  4. Enroll in PASS program (for first-time freshmen only)

Steps to complete BEFORE your appointment:

  1. Review your DARs
  2. Complete the success plan and success strategy areas on probation success plan form
  3. Email completed probation success plan to before your appointment.


Students who do not maintain a semester GPA of 2.0 or above after being placed on probation will be disqualified from Arizona State University. Students who are disqualified may submit a written appeal to the college. If approved, students will be allowed to register for the following semester. If your appeal is denied you will need to sit out one academic year before seeking readmission.

Students who have not appealed successfully should contact the Office of Student and Academic Programs in the Fulton Center, Suite 110, 480-965-6506.  You will need to meet with an OSAP advisor to learn how you can gain readmission after one year.

Click here for more information on disqualification



Get Ready for Graduation

1. Check your Degree Audit for the following:

University Requirements

  • 120 Hours- Your major requirements (MAT, PHY, BIO, CHM) may be complete, but do you have an overall count of 120 credits? If yes, GREAT! If no, you'll need to add electives before graduating. 
  • 45 Upper Division Hours - Have you taken at least 45 credits worth of upper division (300-499)? If yes, awesome! If no, please add upper division electives to your schedule before graduating. 
  • Grade Point Requirement - Students must have at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average to graduate with a baccalaureate degree. 
  • First-year Composition - Completion of ENG 101 and ENG 102 or ENG 105 with a "C" or higher. Students whose native language is not English will need to complete ENG 107 and ENG 108. 
  • Mathematics - This requirement will be met by MAT 270: Calculus 1
  • General Studies - Double check you have all of the below requirements met.
    • Literacy and Critical Inquiry (L) - Students need a total of 6 credits, three credits of lower division and 3 credits of upper division. Your PHY 334 course will count toward both your required lab and your upper division Literacy and Critical Inquiry. 
    • Computer/statistics/quantitative applications (CS) - PHY 201 will count toward your major requirement and your CS requirement. If you did not take PHY 201, you will need to fulfill your CS requirement with another course. 
    • Humanities, Arts and Design (HU) AND Social-Behavioral Sciences (SB) - Students need a total of 15 hours in this requirements: 1 upper division HU or SB, 6 credits of lower division HU, and 6 credits of lower division SB. Students may choose to take upper division HU and SB in lieu of lower division coursework. 
    • Awareness areas - These requirements may be double-dipped with your HU, SB, L, and Science and Society Requirements. 
      • Cultural Diversity in the United States (C)
      • Global Awareness (G)
      • Historical Awareness (H)

College Requirements

  • Science and Society - Students need 6 credits of Science and Society, 3 credits of upper division and 3 credits of lower OR upper division. 

 Major Requirements 

  • Review your major map, degree audit, and eAdvisor (if applicable) to determine if you have completed all major specific coursework. Please contact your advisor if you believe you may be missing requirements. 

2. Apply for Graduation - Deadlines and forms for applying for graduation can be found on your MyASU page under your "Graduation" tab. Please make sure you have a credit card at hand when applying. 

3. RSVP for the Ceremonies - The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences requires all students to RSVP to their major specific Convocation. You may RSVP on your MyASU on your "Graduation" tab. 

4. Purchase Graduation Items - Order your cap and gown, here

Forms and Resources

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I register for classes?

You can register for classes through your MyASU account. Make sure to check your Priority Tasks list to be sure you do not have any holds before registering. Utilize the below video for helpful tips on how to use the class search function to your advantage.

How can I check my remaining degree requirements? 

Students are encouraged to keep track of their degree requirements by running a Degree Audit Report (DARs). Your Degree Audit Report will let you know completed requirements, in-progress requirements, and not yet completed requirements. Please visit, here, to review how to run a Degree Audit Report. 

Where does advising take place?

You will meet with your academic advisor in Bateman Physical Science F-Wing Room 470. Students must check-in at the front desk.

I need an override for a course that is not offered by the Department of Physics

For courses offered outside of the Department of Physics students will need to contact the department offering the course to obtain an override. Typically each department will have an override form or directions on how to obtain an override posted on their advising page. Students are encouraged to look at the department's advising page before contacting the department directly. 

What if I want to change my major?

Students wanting to change their major OUT of physics must contact an advisor in the major they are interested in pursuing. You can find the list of advisors and their respective departments, here.

Students who wish to change their major TO physics may schedule an advising appointment by calling 480-965-3561.

How can I request to take more than 18 credits in 1 semester?

You can request to take more than 18 credits in 1 semester by emailing your advisor. You will need to provide your Student ID# as well as the course that will place you over 18 credits. Students must have a GPA of at least a 3.2 in order to receive approval from their physics advisor. Students with a 3.0GPA will be considered on a case by case basis. If you have below a 3.2 GPA and would like to take more than 18 credits you may submit a course overload petition to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Dean's Office for review. 

I was placed on probation, what are my next steps?

First, you will need to fill out the probation plan found here. Next, set-up an appointment with your advisor. Before attending your appointment, make sure you email your probation plan to your advisor. 

I have been disqualified from Arizona State University. What do I do now?

Students who have not appealed successfully should contact the Office of Student and Academic Programs (OSAP) in the Fulton Center, Suite 110, 480-965-6506. You will need to meet with an OSAP advisor to learn how you can gain readmission after one year.

How do I declare a physics minor?

It is recommended that students meet with their current major advisor first to discuss adding a minor in physics. To meet with a physics advisor to discuss minor requirements, please call 480.965.3561. Students will need to complete the Change to Academic Plan form and obtain their major advisors signature.